Apply a thin layer of food-grade mineral oil to the face of your pizza peel before its first use. This will seal and protect the wood, which makes your pizza peel last longer. Allow the oil to sit until it’s fully soaked into the wood. Do not use olive or vegetable oil, which can become rancid.
How do you care for a wooden pizza peel?
- The best way to clean the wood surface is with a damp sponge or cloth. …
- We recommend not soaking the peel in water to prevent cracking or warping.
- Air dry on a dish rack, or hang it up the cupboard.
- Re-oiling your peel every 4- 6 months with a food grade wood oil is highly recommended.
How do you oil a wooden pizza peel?
Just follow these easy steps:
- Pour mineral oil on your board and lightly spread it in with a dry cloth. Be generous enough so that the entire peel is able to be covered by the oil.
- Let the peel absorb the mineral oil, once the wood dries the peel will be ready for use.
- Repeat this process as often as you feel necessary.
Do you wash a pizza peel?
Wash it every time you use it but not in the traditional sense. You don’t want to soak your wood pizza peel in the sink, as the moisture can cause the material to warp. Instead, use a sanitizing wipe followed up with some mineral oil.
How do you keep pizza from sticking to a pizza stone?
An Excellent Stone for Avoiding Sticky Dough
If you want to prevent your dough from sticking, then your two best friends are flour and cornmeal. These will help form a barrier between the pizza stone and your crust, which will prevent it from sticking!
Can you put a wooden pizza peel in the oven?
Looking After The Peel
This will cut grooves into the wood and make the surface rougher and harder to slide the pizza off. Get a wooden serving board to do this job. Keep the wood away from direct heat and definitely don’t put it in the oven. Wood expands and contracts with heat so will end up splitting.
Why is my pizza stuck to the pizza stone?
So why is the pizza stuck to a pizza stone? Your pizza is stuck to a pizza stone because your dough isn’t floured. A few ways to prevent your pizza from sticking include using plenty of flour on your dough and cooking surface as well as using slightly less water in your dough.
How thick should a pizza peel be?
How thick should a pizza peel be? Metal pizza peels are typically 1 to 3 millimeters—or about 3/64 to 1/8 inches—thick. Wood peels are thicker, usually between 1/2 and 3/4 inches.
How do you clean a peel?
For the aluminum peel, you would need to just dip it into the water and for every quarter of the water used, you would need to add two tablespoons of tartar cream and a half cup of vinegar. You will be boiling the water for about 10 minutes and after boiling remove the peel from the hot water and pour the cleaner.