People I’ve also asked “if you say your hair is natural why are you still dyeing it,With chemicals that are not natural? ” the answer is simple it is my hair and I can do what I like with it.
I also think natural hair looks great with hair dye.. Shoot me
Before you even start thinking of what color and what hair dye to use the important question is, is your hair healthy? using hair dye on already weak or damaged hair is the worst thing you can do to your hair
After the health of your hair has been sorted, you can now start thinking about what dye to use
- I’ve only ever used dark and lovely and creme of nature hair dye, I prefer creme of nature because I feel like the colour comes out more vibrant and there’s more colour pay off than in dark and lovely , I think the advantage of dark and lovely is it’s less likely to destroy your hair.
- I also suggest you do a strand test before dyeing your whole hair, the procedure is usually written on the package of your dye.
- As for colour, I usually switch between some form of blonde or red, I tried a purple dye once and nothing showed , for a colour like purple or blue to show on dark hair you might need to bleach your hair and I personally feel that the colour isn’t worth destroying your Hair for.
- I’d also advice that you skip shampooing before dyeing, (I apply oils on my hair before dyeing it) I feel like it creates some barrier between your hair and the chemicals, the colour may not pay off as much but as I’ve already said healthy hair over coloured hair
- Also before dyeing your hair ,do a lot of deep conditioning, the same thing applies for after dyeing, my hairs health is basically built on deep conditioning. I may not buy so many hair products but I always have deep conditioner.
- Go slow and steady with the dyeing process,You may be looking to achieve a particular colour, but non destructive hair dyeing is a process, it might take a number of applications to get the hair colour you are looking for, so I’d say be patient . I dye my hair once every year, I think ,because I’m constantly bored with the colour, if you are looking to achieve a particular hair colour, give your hair some time to breathe before the next application maybe a month or two .
- Use sulfate free and colour preserving shampoos for your hair,with all the work it takes to achieve that hair colour you definitely don’t want to lose it to your shampoo.
- The two colours I have most recently used are creme of nature light golden blonde 9.23 (the colour is very intense, not for the faint hearted) and intensive red 7.6.
I hope that this post answers most, if not all of your hair dyeing related questions, if there are any other questions feel free to leave them in the comment section. I’d answer them as best as I can.
You can also read this post about